Thursday, May 30, 2013

At My Limit: Overstrike blew a FUSE

R.I.P. Overstrike... You will be missed.

Many of you may not have even heard of this game. Overstrike was revealed at E3 2011. It was beautiful. The trailer looked like a fun, campy, actiony, shooter with Team Fortress style graphics, and funny unique characters. Y'know what just see for yourself.


Doesn't that look like fun? Doesn't it look awesome? I got so excited for this game. It has everything that's missing from most shooters today. It looks like fun, and it looks like its not taking itself seriously. On top of that, it is developed by Insomniac, the company that brought us the fun and lovable Ratchet and Clank. How could it go wrong? Well, a few months ago, I heard about FUSE.

FUSE was released last week, and it is a 3rd person shooter with guns that use advanced technology. These guns can do any number of things, like freeze people, light people on fire, and cause small singularities that explode. At first I just thought that this was yet another shooter that would come and go with a small fan base but not actually cause any impact on gaming culture. Then I heard that it was developed by Insomniac and EA. This made me worry a little, but I dismissed it thinking it must have been a side project. Then, well, I saw the trailer.


The exact same characters, the exact same weapons, but it isn't the same game. Its like they sucked all the fun out of the game and replaced it with everything it takes to be a Gears of War clone. This made me so depressed. Well, not really, but I was sad ok! I even played the demo in hopes that the characters would at least feel like they did in Overstrike, and they didn't. I have yet to play the final product, and I want to like it, but I do not have any faith that I will enjoy it as much as I would have enjoyed Overstrike.

What is it these days with game companies taking a concept that is unique and fun and making it just like everything else? When did color, and goofy but fun character designs become something we should be ashamed of? Why does every character have to look like a bad ass? What do you think? Should games start to stray away from this norm? Would you still play games that have slightly goofy characters? Let us know using the comment box below.

That's it for this week's At My Limit. On Saturday I'll be bringing you more gaming news with another Breaking News. Also next week Zach and I will both be posting reviews, and we'll be adding another new post to our schedule. Don't forget to subscribe for notifications whenever we post new content. And especially don't forget to reply to the questions we asked in this post!

No comments:

Post a Comment